- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until well combined then transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake until the cakes pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Set aside to let cool then cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar, if you like.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.