- 1 pound (1 1/2 cups) red lentils
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced carrot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 2 cups chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 10 ounces firm tofu, puréed in a blender
In a large skillet, sauté the onion, carrot and garlic in 1 teaspoon olive oil until tender, about 2 minutes
Add the mushrooms, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until mushrooms are tender and liquid has evaporated, approximately 5 minutes, and allow to cool.
Add the bread crumbs, lemon juice, tofu, 2 tablespoons olive oil and cooked lentils and mix to combine. Transfer to a large bowl. Chill for 30 minutes and then shape into 8 patties.
Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook patties in batches, until each side is crisp and golden, about 5 minutes total. Finish in a 350°F oven if necessary to heat through.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.