- Canola spray oil
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs, separated and divided
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup (1/4-inch) chunks rhubarb (about 7 ounces)
In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, butter and egg yolks until well combined. In a second bowl, whisk together flour, oats, sunflower seeds, baking soda and salt, and then stir into buttermilk mixture, just until combined. Stir in rhubarb.
In a clean, large bowl, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold whites into batter and then spoon evenly into the muffin tins. Bake until puffed and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.