- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add orzo and stir to coat. Add carrots, peas and broth. Bring to boil and cook until orzo is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan and cover. Let rest 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Per Serving: 440 calories (140 from fat), 15g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 40mg cholesterol, 1050mg sodium, 59g carbohydrates, (4 g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 18g protein.