- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for oiling the pan
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 7 bell peppers, 1 cored, seeded and chopped; tops removed and reserved from remaining 6 then cored and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 pound baby spinach
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and cooked according to package directions (Learn to Cook: Quinoa)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking pan; set aside.
Divide quinoa mixture evenly among remaining 6 bell peppers, gently packing it down and making sure to fully fill each pepper. Top each pepper with its reserved top then arrange them upright in prepared pan. Cover snugly with foil and bake, checking halfway through, until peppers are tender and juicy and filling is hot throughout, about 1 hour. Transfer to plates and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.