- 2 heads garlic, outer layers of skin removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large leeks, chopped
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 large potatoes, cut into cubes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add leeks and mushrooms and cook until tender. Add wine and continue cooking until reduced to one-third. Add potatoes, broth, garlic paste, saffron, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir well, then simmer over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with parsley.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.