- 1 cup uncooked pearled barley
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 4 sprigs fresh dill plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bunches watercress, thick stems removed
- 1/2 English cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
Meanwhile, fill a pot or skillet deep enough to hold salmon with enough water to cover by about an inch. Add 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar and dill sprigs. Bring water to a simmer. Add salmon. Keep water at a gentle simmer and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until salmon is just opaque in center. Allow about 10 minutes per inch thickness of salmon fillet. Carefully remove salmon fillet from water and place in refrigerator to cool to room temperature. Flake salmon into bite-size pieces.
In a medium bowl, make a dressing by whisking together mustard, remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and pepper. Lightly toss watercress with 2 tablespoons of dressing. Toss remaining dressing with barley, cucumber and 1 tablespoon chopped dill. To serve, place watercress on plates. Top with barley mixture and salmon. Garnish with remaining chopped dill.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.