Seafood Risotto with Squid, Scallops and Shrimp
- 5 cups chicken or seafood broth, plus more as needed
- 1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio or carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound squid (calamari) tubes, sliced into rings
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Add shallot and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice and toast cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in wine and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
Set timer for 14 minutes and begin to add saffron broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring each time until most liquid is absorbed. After 14 minutes, stir in scallops, shrimp, squid and salt. Continue to cook and stir, adding broth 1/2 cup at a time until rice is al dente and seafood is just cooked through, about 6 minutes (you may not use all broth). Stir in parsley and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.