- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) package white or baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until golden and just crisp, 3 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Discard drippings and wipe out skillet. Melt 2 tablespoons butter (or heat oil, if using) in same skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned all over, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a large plate as done and set aside.
Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter or oil in same skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until edges begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots, onions, garlic and salt and cook until vegetables just begin to soften. Transfer vegetables and broth to crock pot. Arrange chicken on top. Sprinkle bacon over chicken. Add wine and thyme sprigs. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.