- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast or thigh, or a combination
- 1 pound trimmed ham, finely ground in a food processor
- 2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
In a standard slow cooker, combine turkey mixture, ham, tomato sauce, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook on high, stirring occasionally, until flavors have melded, 3 to 4 hours. Serve immediately, or reduce heat to low (or the “warm” setting, depending on your slow cooker) and serve spooning it onto hamburger buns.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.