Slow-Cooker Three-Cheese Enchilada Casserole
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 bell peppers, cored, seeded and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño or serrano peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 pound Neufchâtel (reduced-fat cream cheese), softened
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 9 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Transfer 1 cup of the vegetables to a blender. Add tomatoes and blend until smooth. Set sauce aside. Transfer remaining vegetables to a large bowl and stir in Neufchâtel and cottage cheese, stirring until Neufchâtel is melted.
Pour about 3/4 cup of the sauce into the slow cooker. Cover with 3 tortillas, overlapping as necessary. Top with half of vegetable mixture and 1/2 cup cheddar. Repeat layering with 3 more tortillas, remaining vegetable mixture, 1 cup sauce and 1/2 cup cheddar. Cover with remaining 3 tortillas, sauce and 1/2 cup cheddar. Cover and cook until casserole is very tender and browned around the edges, 5 to 6 hours on low or 2 1/2 to 3 hours on high. Cool, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.