Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Moussaka
- Olive spray oil
- 3/4 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 large (1 1/2-pound) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 Russet potatoes, very thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup lowfat (1%) milk
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Le Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Meanwhile, combine milk, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and cook just until small bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for at least 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves and cinnamon sticks.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in warm milk and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, whisking occessionally, until just thickened, about 2 minutes more. Pour over moussaka in slow cooker and sprinkle cheese on top. Cover and cook on high until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.