- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 large (1 1/2 pound) eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas), drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
Add tomatoes to the skillet and return it to the grill. Place eggplant slices directly on the grill grates. Cook, flipping eggplant occasionally and shaking the skillet, until eggplant is soft and browned and tomato skins are browned, about 10 minutes total. Transfer eggplant to a platter.
Using a large fork or a potato masher, crush tomatoes, then stir in paprika, pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Tomatoes should form a sauce; if they are too dry, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons water. Top eggplant with tomatoes, chickpeas and mint and squeeze remaining lemon half over the top.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.