- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces pepper jack cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh or dried whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pour liquid from the skillet into a small bowl and set aside. Wipe skillet dry. Melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, until blended but not brown, about 1 minute. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add reserved spinach liquid and heavy cream very slowly, stirring constantly, to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick, about 30 seconds. Add salt, pepper, celery seeds, garlic, cayenne pepper and cheese. Stir until melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach back to skillet and stir to completely blend.
Spoon the spinach into a serving dish. Combine bread crumbs with olive oil and sprinkle over the spinach. Serve immediately, or bake for 15 minutes, or until bread crumbs are crispy and golden and spinach is hot and bubbly.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.