Sugar-Coated Gingerbread Twists
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk remaining egg and 1 tablespoon water together in a small bowl to make an egg wash; set aside. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Cut one disc of dough into 24 equal wedges; leave remaining dough in the refrigerator until ready to use. Roll each wedge of dough into a small ball, then into a 5-inch long rope on a lightly floured surface. Twist two ropes together to form each cookie, then transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining dough then brush egg wash onto each twist and generously sprinkle turbinado sugar over the tops. Bake cookies until puffed and just golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes. Set aside to let cool then serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.