Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Quickie Green Chile Sauce
- 1 cup gluten-free vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch dissolved in a little cold water
- 1 generous cup chopped roasted green chiles, hot or mild
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin or chili powder, hot or mild, to taste
- Enchilada Filling
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lime, Juice of
- 2 heaping cups cooked diced sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted mild green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, mild or spicy
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, as needed
- 8 white or yellow corn tortillas
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
In the meantime, for the filling, combine the drained black beans with minced garlic and lime juice in a mixing bowl. Toss to coat the beans and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the cooked sweet potatoes with the chopped green chiles; add the spices and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour about 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish.
To assemble the enchiladas, heat a dash of oil in a skillet. Lightly cook the corn tortillas to soften them, one at a time, as you fill each one.
Lay the first hot tortilla in the sauced baking dish; wet it with the sauce. Spoon 1/8 of the sweet potato mixture down the center. Top with 1/8 of the black beans. Wrap and roll the tortilla to the end of the baking dish. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Top with the rest of the sauce. Top with a sprinkle of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the enchiladas are piping hot and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.