- 2 cups dried pinto or red kidney beans
- 2 pounds coarsely ground beef or turkey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- cayenne pepper, Pinch of
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chopped fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
- 10 teaspoons grated cheddar cheese, optional
Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add beef or turkey and cook, stirring often, until just cooked through. Drain meat, discarding any fat, and transfer to a bowl; set aside. Heat oil in the same pot. Add onions, garlic, green peppers, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, 2 cups water, bay leaf, wine, salt, soaked and drained beans and cooked meat and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until beans are tender. Season with salt, then spoon into bowls and serve, garnished with cheese, if you like.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.