Tomatillo Mole with Chicken and Vegetables
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, ends trimmed
- Leaves from 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 large yellow onion, halved
- 1 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 3/4 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- 2 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
Reheat chicken cooking liquid to a simmer and add tomatillos. Simmer until the tomatoes soften, 7 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer tomatillos to a food processor. (Strain cooking liquid and reserve.) Cut remaining yellow onion half into large pieces and add to food processor along with jalapeños, white parts of green onions and 2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Purée until smooth and season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/3 teaspoon pepper.
Transfer 4 cups of the remaining cooking liquid to a large pot. Stir in the tomatillo mixture and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Add green beans, sugar snap peas, peas and zucchini. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender., but still crisp. Add reserved chicken and simmer gently to reheat.
Just before serving, finish the mole verde by placing the remaining cilantro, remaining parsley, mint and chives into a blender with 1/2 cup of the warm mole liquid. Purée and adjust seasoning. Remove chicken from heat and stir in purée. Mix well and serve immediately, garnished with remaining green onions.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.