Tortilla Breakfast Strata with Sausage and Green Chiles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the dish
- 1 (14-ounce) package chicken or pork breakfast sausage
- 2 small bunches dark leafy greens (about 3/4 pound), such as kale, collards or spinach, stems and tough ribs removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 eggs
- 6 (7- to 8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups (about 1/2 pound) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced mild green chiles, or 2 to 4 fresh mild Hatch chiles, roasted*, peeled, seeded and chopped
In a large bowl, whisk together milk, salt and eggs. Oil a 9x13-inch casserole dish and cover the bottom with 2 tortillas. Top with 1/3 of the cheese and then scatter 1/2 of the greens, sausage and chiles over the top. Pour over 1/3 of the egg mixture and then repeat layering. Top with remaining 2 tortillas and cheese, and pour over remaining egg mixture. Press down firmly to submerge all of the ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Uncover and bake until strata is puffed, golden brown and cooked through, about 50 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes and then serve.
*To roast Hatch chile peppers, cook on the stovetop, under a broiler, or on a grill until charred and blistered all over. Place blackened peppers in a paper bag, close it up and let the peppers steam for about 10 minutes. Wearing gloves, scrape skins off and run chiles under cool water to remove the skins. Seed and chop chiles, then taste and determine heat level, adding more or less according to your taste.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.