Vegan Tempeh and Veggie Lasagna
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) frozen spinach (no need to thaw it)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 cups (16 ounces) Kite Hill Whipped Ricotta plant-based cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 12 sheets no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles (about 7 ounces from a 9-ounce box)
- 4 cups Engine 2 Plant-Strong Red Bell Pepper Marinara Pasta Sauce
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, parsley, thyme, pepper and nutmeg. Grate tempeh on the large holes of a box grater into a separate bowl; set 1/2 cup aside and stir the remainder into ricotta mixture.
Place 4 noodles on the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Spread with 1 1/4 cups of the marinara. Spoon half of the spinach mixture on top of marinara layer and dot with half of the ricotta mixture. Repeat layering with 4 more noodles, 1 1/4 cups of the marinara and remaining spinach and ricotta mixtures. Top with remaining 4 noodles and remaining 1 1/2 cups marinara. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and reserved 1/2 cup tempeh. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned, 15 to 20 minutes more. Let sit for 20 minutes before serving.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.