- 1 pound beef chuck blade center steak, well trimmed of fat
- 6 cups low-sodium beef both
- 1 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into thin disks
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large star anise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced (3 cups total)
- 1 (3.75-ounce) package cellophane noodles
- 1 1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup packed basil
- 1 cup packed cilantro
- Hot chili sauce for serving
Place noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak until very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and divide the noodles between 4 large soup bowls. Remove steak from freezer and slice it as thinly as possible against the grain. Divide the steak between the bowls. Ladle boiling broth and mushrooms over the beef and garnish each bowl with bean sprouts, basil and cilantro. Serve with hot chili sauce on the side.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.