- 4 pounds white cabbage, cored with leaves separated
- 1 (1-pound) package Hans Weisswurst with Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 pound sauerkraut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, more for garnish
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Shred any remaining cabbage leaves. Mix shredded cabbage with sauerkraut and onion. In a very large heavy pot, place a layer of the shredded cabbage mixture on the bottom and cover with half the rolls, repeat layering, ending with shredded cabbage mixture on top. Add parsley and bay leaf. Pour tomato sauce over the top and add enough reserved cooking water to just cover cabbage.
Place lid firmly on pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and barely simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Adjust seasoning and serve sprinkled with additional parsley, if desired.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.