Creamy, spicy, fragrant and mildly sweet, the flavors of this tropical chicken salad are sure to delight and surprise. Leftover baked, broiled, grilled or rotisserie chicken works perfectly in this recipe. Use any remaining chicken salad for tasty sandwiches or wraps.
- 11 ounces full-fat coconut milk divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken, dark or white meat
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped dates divided
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pistachios divided
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Measure 3/4 cup coconut milk into a bowl and stir in curry powder, onion powder, salt, mustard seeds, cilantro and shredded chicken. Toss to coat well.
Pour remaining 2/3 cup coconut milk into a blender with orange juice, 1/4 cup dates and 1/4 cup pistachios. Blend until smooth and creamy. Pour dressing over romaine lettuce and toss to coat. Preheat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add shredded coconut and toast, stirring often until golden and fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. To serve, divide lettuce among plates. Top with a scoop of chicken salad. Garnish with toasted coconut and remaining chopped dates and pistachios. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 570 calories (320 from fat), 36g total fat, 20g saturated fat, 95mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 29g carbohydrates (7g dietary fiber, 18g sugar), 38g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service