This lovely salad assembles easily and makes a perfect side for fall entrées. A combination of velvety butter lettuce, tender baby spinach and spunky watercress, makes an excellent base for savory asiago and pumpkin seeds. Substitute equally peppery arugula for the watercress, if you like.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 bunches watercress trimmed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 head red leaf or butter lettuce torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
- 3 ounces aged Asiago cheese grated or shaved thinly with a vegetable peeler
In a large bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, honey, mustard and shallot. Drizzle in oil while whisking constantly to make a vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper. Add spinach, watercress and lettuce and toss gently to coat. Scatter pumpkin seeds and cheese over the top and serve.
Per serving: 210 calories (150 from fat), 17g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 9g carbohydrates (1g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 5g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service