Give the gift of DIY flavored sea salt to your favorite cook. Pick one flavor or put together a sample pack of several kinds. Sprinkle on roasted meats or vegetables, use in marinades or add pinches to soups and stews. We love the vanilla salt as a crunchy topping for chocolate chip cookies, too.
- For the base:
- 1/2 cup Whole Foods Market™ fleur de sel (sea salt) or other good quality sea salt
- Next, pick one of the following ingredients to flavor your salt:
- 1 lightly packed teaspoon saffron threads crushed into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds pulsed into a coarse powder in a spice grinder
- 1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender flowers pulsed into a coarse powder in a spice grinder
- 1/4 ounce dried mushrooms such as porcini, pulsed into a fine powder in a spice grinder
- Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean pod
- 1 tablespoon dried orange, lemon or lime peel pulsed into a powder in a spice grinder
In a mortar and pestle, or using your fingers, gently mix and crush salt with the ingredient you’ve picked, combining them well without completely pulverizing salt. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Per serving: about 1/2 teaspoon, 0 calories (0 from fat), 0g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 960mg sodium, 0g carbohydrates (0g dietary fiber, 0g sugar), 0g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service