Heat butter or oil in a medium (10-inch) skillet over medium heat.
Swirl pan once or twice to evenly cover bottom with butter or oil.
When butter has melted or oil is hot, crack eggs into the pan.
Cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes; uncover the pan and use a spatula to separate the eggs if the whites have run together.
For sunny-side up eggs, continue to cook, covered, until the yolks are set, about 2 minutes longer.
For over-easy eggs, carefully flip the eggs and cook for 1 more minute, or until eggs reach your desired doneness.
To remove the eggs, carefully tilt the pan and use the spatula to help you slide them out.
Sprinkle with pepper.
HOW SHOULD I SERVE THEM?
- With hot sauce and your favorite greens
- As a filling for breakfast sandwiches
- On top of grits or oatmeal for a savory breakfast bowl
- Over a veggie burger for extra protein
- On top of your favorite grain, surrounded with veggies, for an easy grain bowl