The bright flavors of carrots matched with warm spices like cinnamon, cumin, coriander and paprika make a wonderful salad for any time of year. It's a perfect make-ahead dish to take to dinner parties, as the flavors are best if left to blend for an hour before serving.
- 1/2 cup pitted dates chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 pound carrots grated
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Put dates in a small bowl. Pour lemon and orange juice over dates and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
Drain dates, reserving juice mixture. Combine dates with carrots in a mixing bowl. Stir garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika and salt into reserved juice mixture. Gradually drizzle olive oil into juice-spice mixture, whisking constantly. Pour dressing over carrots and dates and stir well to coat. Stir in mint and parsley. Allow to sit an hour at room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 190 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 31g carbohydrates (6g dietary fiber, 21g sugar), 2g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service