This savory soup is perfect for a cold day, or just when you feel in the mood for a hearty dish. We use vegetarian sausage links here, and you can choose your favorite flavor.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 (16.0-ounce) package frozen bell pepper strips
- 1 (28.0-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.0-ounce) can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon blackened cajun spice
- 1/2 pound vegetarian sausage links, Cajun or spicy variety cut into 1-inch slices
- 3/4 cup rice (white or quick-cooking brown)
- 8 ounces frozen cut okra
- Hot sauce to taste
Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot until warm. Add garlic and sauté briefly. Stir in peppers. Cook another 4 minutes then add tomatoes, beans, seasoning and sausage. Bring to a boil and add rice. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add okra and simmer another 10 minutes or until rice is cooked. Serve with hot sauce on the side.
Per serving: 530 calories (170 from fat), 19g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 830mg sodium, 69g carbohydrates (13g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 23g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service