Serve this with hot sauce on the side and let everyone spice it up to their liking. Make this recipe vegetarian by omitting the bacon and sausage, or substituting vegetarian bacon and sausage.
- 4 slices bacon cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (12.0-ounce) package chorizo sausage sliced
- 1 (20.0-ounce) package cooked jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add the bacon and cook until it begins to crisp around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the onion, celery, pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add beans and chorizo, reduce heat, cover and simmer to blend flavors, about 25 minutes. Heat rice according to package directions. Ladle beans over rice and garnish with parsley.
Per serving: 1050 calories (280 from fat), 31g total fat, 11g saturated fat, 70mg cholesterol, 1360mg sodium, 150g carbohydrates (14g dietary fiber, 7g sugar), 38g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service