This borscht will make you fall in love with beets all over again, and using your slow cooker makes it deliciously easy. Skip the sour cream for a dairy-free version, if you like.
- 8 red beets peeled and halved
- 2 Russet potatoes (about 3/4 pound total) peeled and halved
- 1 large yellow onion quartered
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups very finely shredded green cabbage
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 hard-boiled eggs thinly sliced lengthwise or quartered
- 1/4 cup sour cream divided
- Lemon wedges
Combine beets, potatoes, onion, broth and tomato paste in a slow cooker and cook until vegtables are very soft, about 4 hours on high heat or 8 hours on low heat. Working in batches, carefully transfer vegetables to blender and purée until smooth; return to the slow cooker. Add cabbage and cook until the cabbage is softened, about 45 minutes on high. Add dill, vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Ladle soup into bowls and top with eggs and sour cream and serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 190 calories (40 from fat), 4.5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 90mg cholesterol, 320mg sodium, 30g carbohydrates (5g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 7g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service