This easy, hearty chicken stew is packed with fall flavors: apples, sweet potatoes and aromatic sage. Whole fennel seeds add depth to the stew and become mellow during slow cooking. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley just before serving.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 firm, sweet baking apples, such as Braeburn or Gala peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (10 ounces each) cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 large sweet onion halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Toast fennel seeds in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Cut chicken thighs in half. Add chicken, fennel seeds, apples, potatoes, onion, sage, salt and pepper to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until chicken and apples are very tender, 6 to 7 hours, or 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high.
Per serving: 300 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 165mg cholesterol, 610mg sodium, 19g carbohydrates (4g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 39g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service