This hearty stew offers rich flavor at an approachable price. Warm pieces of naan bread make the perfect accompaniment.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 chile pepper, such as serrano or jalapeño, seeded and chopped, plus more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 (15.0-ounce) cans garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 1 (28.0-ounce) can tomato puree
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high and sauté the onions.
Add peppers, garlic, garam masala and sesame seeds and cook until peppers begin to soften.
Combine everything except the yogurt in the slow cooker and cook on low 8 to 10 hours. Stir in yogurt about 15 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 250 calories (90 from fat), 10g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 680mg sodium, 33g carbohydrates (8g dietary fiber, 9g sugar), 11g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service