This quick and easy vegetarian soup is great make-ahead item for weeknight mealtime. Just reheat and then garnish with cheese, tortilla chips, and cilantro. Serve with an avocado salad for a satisfying dinner.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 serrano chile finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (28.0-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice more to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled yellow corn tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
In a medium soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until the onion turns translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chile and cumin and cook a minute longer. Add tomatoes with their juices, 2 cups water and salt. Cover the pot and cook gently, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Stir in lime juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese, tortilla chips and cilantro.
Per serving: 100 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 12g carbohydrates (3g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 3g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service