Our vegan take on a breakfast casserole is made with asparagus, smoky tempeh and fresh herbs. Almondmilk, silken tofu and flax seeds add both nutrition and richness to this one-dish meal.
- Canola spray oil
- 1 (1.0-pound) package silken tofu
- 3 cups unsweetened almondmilk
- 1/3 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups cubed Health Starts Here® whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives and thyme
- 2 (6.0-ounce) packages smoky tempeh strips cut or crumbled into chunks
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed and sliced diagonally, divided
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with oil. In a blender, purée tofu, almondmilk, flaxseeds, salt and pepper until smooth. In the prepared dish, toss together bread, herbs, tempeh, and all but 3/4 cup of the asparagus. Pour almondmilk mixture over the top and press down gently to submerge all of bread. Scatter reserved asparagus over the top and bake until golden brown and just firm in the middle, 50 to 55 minutes. Bread pudding can be assembled the night before and baked the following morning.
Per serving: 240 calories (60 from fat), 6g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 28g carbohydrates (10g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 11g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service