Chipotle chiles, which are simply smoked jalapeños, flavor this vegetarian chili. Serve bowls of the smoky stuff with squares of warm cornbread on the side to crumble on top.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 cup frozen chopped bell pepper
- 1 (1.0-ounce) package chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 (28.0-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 (15.0-ounce) can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.0-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- Chopped green onions (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Grated cheese (optional)
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add peppers and continue cooking until warmed through. Stir in seasoning mix and chipotles, then add tomatoes, beans and 1 cup water. Gently simmer over low heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Ladle chili into individual bowls and garnish with green onions, sour cream or cheese, if you like.
Per serving: 390 calories (90 from fat), 10g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 900mg sodium, 56g carbohydrates (18g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 17g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service