Joe from Louisiana sent us this recipe for a walnut and chickpea dip brightened with fresh herbs and citrus juice. Think hummus, with the richness supplied by walnuts instead of sesame. Spread on crostini, toasted pita or rounds of English cucumber.
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup toasted walnuts chopped
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus more as needed
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice plus more as needed
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Thinly sliced fresh basil as needed for garnish
- Thinly sliced radishes as needed for garnish
Place beans, walnuts, basil leaves, oil, lemon juice and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Purée until smooth, adding a little more oil or lemon juice if needed to obtain smooth consistency. Add salt and pepper and process again to combine well. Spoon into a serving bowl and garnish with sliced basil and radishes.
Per serving: about 2 tablespoons, 120 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 8g carbohydrates (2g dietary fiber, 0g sugar), 3g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service