Canned beans are a quick, no-cook protein option that readily absorbs the flavors of fresh herbs and roasted red peppers. Roast your own peppers or look for them in jars on grocery shelves near olives and pickles. Serve this hearty salad with whole wheat crackers, if desired.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 roasted red peppers roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 (15.0-ounce) cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put oil, lemon juice, garlic and peppers into a blender and process until smooth; transfer to a large bowl. Add feta, onions, parsley, oregano, beans, salt and pepper and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to allow time for the flavors to meld. Bring back to room temperature before serving and garnish with a bit more feta cheese, if you like.
Per serving: 290 calories (140 from fat), 15g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 29g carbohydrates (7g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 10g protein.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember - we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information.
See our Terms of Service