National Coffee Day (Thursday, September 29) is just days away and we’ve got some great ways to celebrate. Perk up with a pumpkin spice latte, find out how your daily cup can help others, and whip up some delicious coffee-inspired drinks and dishes. Here’s how:
1. On National Coffee Day, Allegro Coffee will donate $1 for every drip coffee sold at Whole Foods Market stores to Whole Planet Foundation — a non-profit organization whose mission is to empower the world's poorest people to create or expand home-based businesses with microcredit loans. Since 2005 the organization has given 1.5 million small loans to support enrepreneurs' dreams to lift themselves and their families out of poverty. And it turns out a dollar can go a long way. While you’re enjoying your cup of Joe, check out Whole Planet Foundation’s Impact Calculator opens in a new tab to learn how that money will help families 68 countries, included the United States.
2. Get $1 off a 16 oz Allegro Pumpkin Spice Latte opens in a new tab. To claim your caffeinated discount, download the Whole Foods Market App opens in a new tab and scan your personalized bar code at the register. (At participating stores with coffee bars only. Offer available from September 28-November 1.) This fall we have two flavors — Classic and Caramel — and you can always make your drink vegan for free by swapping in your choice of alternative milks.
4. Half-and-half, whole milk, skim, soy, and almond. Been there, done that. Get creative with your morning cup opens in a new tab with some off-the-wall add-ins like butter, spices, and syrups.
5. Try our peppermint-y twist on affogato, Italy’s famous “drowned” ice cream and espresso dessert. Our Coffee-Splashed Peppermint Ice Cream opens in a new tab recipe doesn’t disappoint.
6. Impress your guests with Coffee Granita. opens in a new tab Spoon this delicious semi-frozen treat into parfait glasses and serve as an elegant desserts.
7. You don’t have to wait for the holidays to make Spiced Gingerbread with Coffee and Molasses opens in a new tab. Dress it up with a scoop of raspberry sorbet, dollop of lemon curd, or smear of low-fat cream cheese.
8. Traditional cheesecake is delicious — but Cappuccino Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake opens in a new tab is epic. Trust us, it’s worth every minute of preparation.
9. Vegans rejoice — this dairy-free mocha pie opens in a new tab is creamy, chocolaty and has a hint of coffee and maple to add depth to the flavor. Serve with berries or a non-dairy whipped topping — or both!
10. Spend some time in the kitchen so you can seriously pamper your skin later. This DIY Vanilla Mocha Body Scrub opens in a new tab leaves skin soft and moisturized — and has a rich coffee scent.