Updated October 20, 2016
Although there are thousands of varieties of pears worldwide, we cultivate just a handful in the U.S. Each is unique in texture, flavor and appearance. Check out our simple, helpful primer opens in a new tab to find out more. Once you've settled on your favorite variety, here are our a few of our favorite fall ideas:
1. Opt for a sweet juicy pear for a satisfying snack. Eat out of hand or as part of winter fruit salad along with apples, dried fruit, toasted nuts and coconut. Add a dollop of vanilla yogurt, if desired.
2. Pair a pear with cheese. Ricotta with Raw Honey and Pears opens in a new tab and Goat Cheese Cheesecake with Roasted Rosemary Pears opens in a new tab are two recipes you’ll want to try for dessert. Elegant, delicious and very satisfying!
Whole Wheat German Pancake with Pears Recipe opens in a new tab
3. Add chopped pears to pancakes, waffles, muffins and quick breads. Whole Wheat German Pancake with Pears opens in a new tab is filled with thinly sliced Bartlett pears and baked in a cast-iron skillet.
4. Throw halved or quartered firm pears on the grill. They make a fabulous side dish to grilled meats. Tangy Grilled Pork Chops with Pears and Blue Cheese opens in a new tab is a lot simpler than it sounds, and you’ll love how beautifully pears complement pork chops.
Mixed Green Salad with Pears, Hazelnuts, Blue Cheese and Homemade Croutons opens in a new tab
5. Slice pears and serve over a leafy green salad with a sprinkling of feta or any tangy soft cheese. Mixed Green Salad with Pears, Hazelnuts, Blue Cheese and Homemade Croutons opens in a new tab is an all-around favorite winter salad made with juicy Bartlett pears, tangy blue cheese and toasted hazelnuts.
6. Sauté pears in butter with a light sprinkling of dark brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Serve for breakfast with scrambled eggs or for dessert with creamy vanilla pudding, whipped cream or ice cream.
Baked Maple Chicken with Wild Rice and Bartlett Pear Pilaf Recipe opens in a new tab
7. Baked Maple Chicken with Wild Rice and Bartlett Pear Pilaf opens in a new tab is easy enough for a weeknight meal and pretty enough for company. Maple baked chicken is served with pear-studded brown and wild rice pilaf. Round this meal out with a leafy green salad or steamed broccoli.