I live in Austin, Texas, which bills itself as the live music capital of the world. It seems like we have a music festival almost every weekend, and one of my favorite festival pastimes is watching all the hair, makeup and clothing solutions that women devise to stay fresh and fashionable in our hot summer weather.
From heat and humidity to sweat and sun, music festivals present a myriad of challenges for pretty hair. I took a quick poll of my festival-fanatic friends to find out how they stay cool and look cool too. Here are their top six tips:
1. Spray dry hair with sea salt spray (such as Alaffia Everyday Coconut Texture Spray Volumizing Sea Salt), then put it in a loose braid to keep it off your face and neck in the heat of the day. Take the braids out after sunset and finger comb for this summer’s sexiest hair trend: boho waves.
2. Wear a hat whenever possible to protect your hair from sun damage and discoloration.
3. Douse a few cotton balls with witch hazel and stash them in a reusable container or plastic bag. Later you can dab them around your hairline to freshen an oily scalp.
4. Put your hair in a bun to keep it off your neck. Pull a few strands loose around your face to keep it rock-and-roll. (Watch our video tutorial on How to Do a Messy Bun opens in a new tab.)
5. Keep your tresses smelling fresh with a few drops of essential oil pressed into hair (not scalp).
6. Update the pony tail by teasing the front section of your hair into a high pompadour. Be-bop-a-lula — you’ve got instant rockabilly style!
Do you have a tip that keeps your locks looking good from day to night? Share your wisdom in the comments!