If you’re a sushi lover, you’re familiar with nori. But did you know there’s so many other ways to enjoy this mineral-rich seaweed? It’s so on-trend right now, and for good reason!
What is Nori?
Nori is edible red algae, usually sold dried in sheets. Nori sheets are made in a way that is similar to paper-making, with shredded bits of algae pressed into a frame and then squeezed dry.
Nori is rich in minerals thanks to the saltwater it grows in, and is a natural pairing with fresh fish and vegetables.
How to Enjoy Nori
Nori is most often available as pliable sheets, but has more recently shown up in grocery stores as a crunchy, salty snack. Like dried dulse opens in a new tab, it’s also used in blends like furkikake, which is used as a topping for rice bowls, sushi, and more. I love to use furikake in all sorts of things and even roast nuts with it!
When buying nori, make sure to keep it dry in an airtight package, as it will absorb moisture from its surroundings.
Here are a few ways to enjoy nori:
· Try your hand at rolling sushi with our recipe for California Rolls opens in a new tab.
· Swap for tortillas and make a nori taco.
· Sprinkle diced nori on top of a rice bowl opens in a new tab.
· Grind nori and toss with freshly-popped popcorn instead of salt.
· Slice nori into strips and try it over soba noodles for a twist on pasta night.
· Add it to your favorite noodle soup, like ramen.
· Use it for decoration in your kids’ lunches!
Go beyond sushi and try some nori today!