These days, smart shoppers want to know more than ever about how their food was grown, who picked it and how it made its way to market.
Enter the Whole Trade® Guarantee, a collaboration between Whole Foods Market and farmers and farmworkers who are committed to fair compensation, better working conditions, healthy ecosystems and thriving communities.
This weekend is a great time to get to know Whole Trade, because select Whole Trade products — including mangoes, bananas, flowers, coffee, tea and chocolate — are on sale from Friday, January 22 through Sunday, January 24. Get details on the sale below and read on for a peek into the stories behind some of our favorite Whole Trade fruits.
- Whole Trade® Bananas (organic and conventional) — 20% off per lb.
- Whole Trade® Organic Kent Mangoes — $1.99 each
- Whole Trade® Flower Bouquets and Bunches, select varieties — 2 for $10 (or $5 each)
- Whole Trade® Allegro® Coffee Organic Continental Blend or Organic Italian Roast, whole bean or ground — $8.99/12-oz bag
- Whole Trade® Allegro® Tea Organic Breakfast Blend or Organic Estate Ceylon — $1.00 off
- Whole Trade® Whole Foods Market™ Chocolate Bars, Select Varieties — 2 for $5
- Whole Trade® 12-oz Coffee, Tea & Espresso Drinks (from the coffee bar) — 99¢ each
Get the Story
Whole Trade® Bananas — 20% off per lb.
Whole Trade growers work with respected third-party organizations to make sure that their farms meet clear criteria for environmental responsibility.
Some Whole Trade® bananas come from EARTH University in Costa Rica, where student workers are pioneering new ways to protect ecosystems by recycling farm waste. For example, the plastic bags that protect growing bananas from insects are repurposed as packing materials so that plastic doesn’t end up in soil or streams.
If you’re hungry to support this kind of ingenuity, why not whip up a Double Green Smoothie featuring Whole Trade® bananas?
Whole Trade® Organic Kent Mangoes — $1.99 each
To help empower farmworker communities, Whole Foods Market pays a “social premium” for each Whole Trade product. Local farmers and farmworkers identify their community’s most pressing needs and decide how to use the funds.
In Peru, where many Whole Trade® Organic Kent Mangoes are sourced, the funds go to a cooperative of small-scale mango growers. Recently, the co-op used Whole Trade funds to dig new water wells for their community.
Think that’s refreshing? Wait ‘til you try Whole Trade® Organic Kent Mangoes in a Tropical Mango Sparkler !
What will you be stocking up on?