- 2 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin pureé
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound pitted dates (about 3 cups), roughly chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
In a small bowl toss dates with 1/4 cup of flour mixture until coated well. Gradually add remaining flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating slowly. Stir in dates and pecans then transfer batter to the prepared pan and spread out evenly.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool on a rack, then cut into squares and serve.
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we're cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.