Whether you’re a seasoned vegan or you’re just starting this plant-packed way of eating, navigating the grocery store can feel intimidating. We’re here to help you seek out the best vegan essentials and alternatives in our aisles. Set yourself up for success with our shopping tips, then use our grocery list to streamline your trip.
Vegan Shopping Tips
Whether you’re planning your grocery list or you’ve already started shopping, use these helpful tips to make your trip easier.
- Check ingredient lists: Many packaged foods indicate whether they are vegan on the label, but it’s a good practice to check ingredient lists regardless. Watch out for non-vegan ingredients like whey, lactose, gelatin and refined sugar.
- Search products by special diet: Need to find a product fast? You can quickly browse foods and products in your store by selecting the vegan filter.
- We’re here to help: Trouble locating an item? Look for a team member in our aisles or visit the service desk in your store. We’ll help guide you toward those hard-to-find items, whether it’s nutritional yeast or a tofu scramble.
- Know our aisles: Before you make your list, it’s helpful to break down our stores into the sections you’ll be frequenting the most. Use the below categories to familiarize yourself with our aisles so you can locate items quickly when you shop.
Vegan Grocery List
While this is by no means an exhaustive list, it’s a great starting point for stocking up on essentials. Selection may vary by store, so be sure to check your nearest Whole Foods Market location before creating your list.
- Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- Tropical fruit (pineapple, mango, kiwi)
- Apples and pears
- Stone fruit (peaches, plums, apricots)
- Leafy greens (spinach, kale, Swiss chard, broccoli rabe)
- Salad greens (romaine, arugula)
- Squash (winter, summer)
- Root vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, beets)
- Broccoli and cauliflower
- Fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, rosemary, dill, thyme)
- Onions, shallots and garlic
- Plant-based burger patties, sausages, crumbles and deli slices
- Milk alternatives (almond, oat, cashew, coconut, soy, hemp)
- Cheese alternatives (vegan cheeses)
- Yogurt alternatives (coconut, almond)
- Creamer alternatives
- Egg alternatives
- Plant-based proteins
- Fruit and vegetables
- Riced cauliflower
- Vegan pizza
- Tofu scramble
- Waffles and pancakes
- Nondairy ice cream alternatives
- Tortillas and flatbreads
- Breakfast breads (bagels, English muffins)
- Rolls and buns
- Vegan desserts (chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, cakes)
- Oil (olive, coconut, canola, grapeseed)
- Vinegar (apple cider, balsamic, red wine, champagne)
- Vegetable broth
- Packaged pasta
- Canned tomatoes
- Canned beans
- Grains (rice, quinoa, farro, barley)
- Nut butters (peanut, almond, cashew)
- Nutritional yeast
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Fruit preserves
- Vegan condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise)
- Sweeteners (maple syrup, agave, stevia)
- Flour (all-purpose, whole wheat, almond)
- Active dry yeast
- Vegan chocolate chips
- Chips (tortilla, pita, potato)
- Rice cakes
- Dips (guacamole, salsa, hummus)
- Nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, chia seeds)
- Dried fruit
Ready to build your grocery list?
Download the Whole Foods Market app to access your shopping list. Use the Products tab to search for your favorite vegan products or filter results by other dietary preferences, sales and deals, local brands and more. Add what you need to your list for your next trip to your local store.