As kids, my sisters and I always served our mom breakfast in bed to celebrate Mother’s Day. She loved it! We made simple (but delicious) Scrambled Eggs with toast or biscuits, butter and jelly. As we got a bit older, we served French toast, something similar to this Vanilla French Toast with Fresh Berries or this Spiced French Toast.Is breakfast for mom (in bed or out) on the agenda this year? Here are some fun ideas from smoothies to pancakes to eggs. Just remember: cleaning up the kitchen afterwards is a must!
Start with a beverage your Mom loves, maybe coffee, tea or fruit juice. Add some fresh seasonal fruit or a fruit salad like this Fresh Fruit Salad with Creamy Yogurt Dressing or this refreshing Melon Ambrosia made with toasted coconut flakes.
Next, choose a main breakfast dish. Here’s a variety of pancake, waffles and French toast ideas:
- Ricotta and Strawberry Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancakes
- Honey-Sweetened Buttermilk Pancakes
- Fluffy Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Cherry Pancakes
- Whole Grain Apple Waffles
- Waffles with Berries and Greek Yogurt
- Mini Blueberry Waffles with Orange Cream Yogurt Dip
- Savory Baked French Toast
- Baked Cranberry-Walnut French Toast
- Sprouted Grain Orange French Toast with Bananas
Or maybe you want to go with eggs. A quiche can be quite simple, especially when you purchase a ready-made pie crust. Consider a Spinach Quiche with Pine Nuts, a Mushroom and Gruyere Quiche, or a wonderful Goat Cheese and Leek Quiche. For scrumptious scrambled eggs, these Soft Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms, Chives and Fleur de Sel are really good!
And you can always make a fancy smoothie as a starter or for the full meal before heading out for other mom’s day fun:
- Cherry Almond Smoothie
- Mixed Fruit Smoothie
- Mango Pineapple Smoothie
- Creamy Breakfast Smoothie
- Chocolate Almond Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Almond Butter Smoothie
- Pineapple Raspberry Smoothie
Be sure to serve Mom’s breakfast on a pretty plate or tray. Add a little décor, something like a special straw for the juice or smoothie, or a flower in a pretty vase, or a fun coffee mug. Use your imagination!Are you planning a celebration for your Mom? Got a recipe or an idea? Let me know.