Even with two kids and nearly six years of parenting under my belt, I’m not an expert on what mothers want for Mother’s Day, but I sure know what I want. I want to sleep in (please don’t wake me before 8 am). I want some alone time (a yoga class). I want some family time (let’s go on a hike or have a picnic!). Anything above that is a bonus.
My husband and kids are great at meeting those needs and then going beyond with unexpected treats such as a relaxing afternoon in the backyard with a bottle of rosé, a cheese plate and the Sunday edition of the New York Times — some of my favorite things!
Looking for inspiration to make Mother’s Day memorable? Think of her favorite things and get creative. How about stocking the freezer with that gelato she likes so much; filling her bathroom cupboard with fragrant soaps, candles and lotions; splitting up a couple bouquets of her best-loved flower in mason jars and placing them all around the house; or making sure her wine glass is never empty. Here are 10 of our top picks this Mother’s Day:
1. Bloom Candle and Pure Perfume. Let mom relax with a fresh floral aroma thanks to this pretty pair of aromatherapy gifts scented with an essential oil blend.
2. Whole Foods Market™ 83% Organic Triple French Milled Soap. Citrus Zest, Fresh Peach or Sugar Lychee. Treat hardworking moms to spa-soft hands. Crafted in France and packaged in a ready-to-gift stamped tin, this long-lasting soap lathers up luxurious suds leaving skin washed and nourished. The Premium Body Care opens in a new tab™ logo indicates our highest standards for sourcing, environmental impact, results and safety.
3. Acure Aromatherapeutic Moroccan Argan Oils Kit. Coconut, Rose and Citrus Ginger. Harvested by a female cooperative in Morocco, this trio of organic all-in-one lightly scented moisturizers is great for face, body, hair and cuticles. The lightweight formula absorbs quickly too.
4. Whole Trade® Flowers. Improving lives with every purchase, these are blooms with a beautiful meaning — Whole Trade® opens in a new tab flower purchases have generated more than $4 million to support projects in farmworker communities.
5. Trilogy Everything Balm. For the mom who has everything, this is a balm that does just that — moisturizes face, body, cuticles, hands, lips…and baby bottoms too! This beauty multi-tasker nourishes and protects with rosehip, coconut and jojoba oils, vitamin E, echinacea and pawpaw.
6. LIFE Coffee Jackets, Wine Bags, Bracelets and Change Purses. For moms, by moms — these are handmade by mothers in Kenya who are working to provide for their families and send their kids to school.
7. Hervé Mons St. Nuage Cheese. Delight food-loving moms with a triple-crème, soft-ripened cheese from France. It makes a great pair with a bottle of sparkling wine…or a subscription to a wine club (see below)!
8. Alter Eco Organic Chocolate Bars. Dark Salted Brown Butter, Deep Dark Sea Salt. These fair trade 70% cocoa chocolate bars fulfill sweet-salty cravings thanks to a touch of fleur de sel de Guérande.
9. Ciao Bella Sorbetto and Gelato. Mom deserves a pint or two of her very own (no touching!). Check out new flavors including Blueberry Passion Fruit Sorbetto and Chocolate Mascarpone Gelato.Editor's Note: as of August 2015, Wine Club by Whole Foods Market is no longer accepting new members.
10. Cheers to Mom! Hoping to make mom really happy this Mother’s Day? Gift her a subscription to Wine Club by Whole Foods Market opens in a new tab. Wine Club ships six carefully curated, hard-to-find, limited production wines right to Mom’s doorstep for just $125 per shipment†. You can choose a single six-bottle shipment or an on-going shipment four times a year. She’ll be raising a glass to your thoughtfulness over and over again.
†As of August 2015, Wine Club by Whole Foods Market® is no longer accepting new members. All orders are purchased from and fulfilled by Wine.com. Wine may only be sold and delivered to persons at least 21 years old. Delivery may not be available in all states and additional shipping charges may apply for delivery to Alaska and Hawaii. Other restrictions and conditions may apply – please review all terms and conditions prior to purchase.
Selection and prices vary by store; check your local store opens in a new tab for their offerings. Sunday, May 10 is Mother’s Day. What do you have planned?
Originally published 4/23/2015.
Last updated 9/14/2015.