Elegant. Refreshing. Big time-savers. If you don’t count oysters on the half shells as one of your go-tos for holiday gatherings, you should.
Raw oysters have a luxurious texture and can have a clean and briny, buttery, mild or even sweet taste. They are delicious on their own or with a simple squeeze of lemon or dab of cocktail sauce.
But you can also wow your guests with something more — easily. Here are five celebration-worthy oyster toppings.
- Chimichurri sauce. This fresh herb sauce is traditionally served with steak, so it’s an unexpected delight topped on fresh oysters. Here’s our recipe for a simple, mild chimichurri.
- Chopped bacon and finely diced jalapeno. Here’s yet another way to enjoy bacon.
- Grated fresh horseradish with lemon or lime granita. The sweet and tart combination of this classic icy Italian treat and horseradish is sure to impress.
- Sriracha and lemon juice. Zing!
- Shredded quick-pickled pears. Our tangy Raw Oysters with Sweet Pear Mignonette is an updated riff on the classic mignonette, a seasoned vinegar sauce.
Buyer’s tip: if you’re wary of shucking them yourself, oysters can be opened for you at our seafood counter.You'll find other impressively easy holiday appetizers and more in our online Holiday Guide.
What’s your favorite pairing for raw oysters? Share suggestions in the comments below!