When I was a kid, my neighbors grew the juiciest, best-tasting tomatoes in their back garden. They became a hallmark of summer and to this day, I believe tomatoes are one of the best things about this season.
Let’s celebrate peak-season tomatoes! Here are seven tips for making the most of tomatoes this summer.
- Sliced. Swiss Family Sandwiches and Vegan Caprese Salad are fast weeknight supper crowd-pleasers.
- Chopped. You only need a few chopped heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella, chopped basil and olive oil for a colorful no-cook pasta sauce.
- Puréed. There’s nothing like icy cold Classic Gazpacho on a blistering hot day.
- Salsa-ed! Fresh Salsa is summer’s must-have condiment for grilled steaks or shrimp, brown rice (a Sure Deal ) and beans, scrambled eggs and of course, chips.
- Grilled. Grilled cherry tomatoes are tops on fish, chicken, pasta and toast points. Simply toss tomatoes with olive oil, garlic and herbs then cook in a grill basket until charred.
- Stored. Keep tomatoes at room temperature until ripe and then use within a day or two. (When storing tomatoes, avoid refrigeration because it affects their flavor and texture.)
- Preserved. Roasted, dehydrated or stewed — savor the season by saving a taste of summer for later.
What are your favorite ways to enjoy summer’s tomato harvest? Let me know in the comment’s section below.