Grilled Veggie and Goat Cheese WrapsOne of my favorite time- and money saving tips is batch cooking, preparing a big batch of a staple ingredient — like veggies, grains or chicken — to incorporate into meals throughout the week. For example, roast a whole chicken during the weekend and volà! You’ve got a quick and easy shortcut for salads, tacos, sandwiches and pasta dishes later in the week.
Summer grilling makes it easy. You can fire up the grill once and cook enough for two meals ― tonight's dinner, plus extra food that can be turned into a second, different meal for breakfast, lunch or another night.
So the next time you’re grilling veggies, hamburgers or brats, throw on chicken breasts, a steak, veggies or a fillet of fish for your upcoming meals. Here’s some inspiration:
- Add it to grain or green salad like this summery Grilled Chicken Salad with Peach-Pecan Vinaigrette or Sonoma Chicken Salad (a shopper favorite!)
- Make burritos, tostadas or quesadillas
- Serve chicken with rice and steamed veggies
- Set out a taco salad station
- Add barbecue sauce to pulled chicken for sandwiches
- Slice breast meat for sandwiches or make wraps like this Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wrap
- Save dark meat for chicken tortilla soup
- Cut into chunks and use as a tasty topper on a pesto pizza
- Start your day right with steak and eggs, breakfast tacos or steak hash
- Slice for quesadillas or nachos
- Add to sandwiches and wraps (even grilled cheese!)
- Top a grain or green salad like Arugula with Steak, Lemon and Parmesan
- Add to noodle bowls
- Toss with pasta, vegetables and blue cheese for a light pasta salad lunch
- Like chicken and steak, grilled fish is great in grain or green salads (like this Avocado Salmon Salad with Kale), pasta dishes or sandwiches.
Or try one of these:
- Honey Mustard Salmon Salad pairs well with stoneground crackers, multigrain sandwich bread or lettuce leaves
- Declare taco night! (Tip: Gently bring the fish to room temperature or quickly reheating it in a sauté pan)
- Top Mighty Bowls of Goodness, one-bowl meals with quinoa, lentils, kale or broccoli and avocado
- Make fish cakes like these Mini Wild Salmon Cakes
- Flake and add to chowders or soups
- Quesadillas, frittatas, omelets, quiches, salads, lasagna…what can’t you do with grilled veggies?
Here are a few recipes that will make your week:
- Upgrade your pasta like in Grilled Vegetables with Cheese Tortellini
- Grilled Veggie and Goat Cheese Wrapsare made for summer suppers, picnics and lunch on-the-go
- Make it pizza night with Grilled Vegetable Pizza
- Grilled Summer Veggie Fajitas are a family favorite
- Beware! Your Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad with Chickpeas and Basil may accidently disappear if you keep it in the office fridge
Do you grill ahead for future meals? Share your time-saving recipes and ideas in the comments section below.