**Update on 3/10/09**
Added a few new items to the recall list.
**Update on 3/6/09**
Added a few new items to the recall list.
**Update on 3/2/09**
The FDA has now posted information on their website about PCA's Texas facility testing positive for the same strain of salmonella as their Georgia facility. Here's an excerpt from their statement:
“Unlike the PCA plant in Blakely, Georgia, which principally manufactured peanut butter and peanut paste, the PCA Texas facility principally blanched, split, granulated and roasted peanuts for distribution to various businesses. The Texas facility's activities included the production and distribution of peanut meal, a byproduct of the peanut granulation process used to make peanut butter and peanut paste. The Texas DSHS is currently notifying all first-level customers of PCA Texas products from January 1, 2007 forward that all products are subject to recall. FDA will audit 100 percent of those PCA customers to facilitate the removal of product from the marketplace. This is an ingredient-driven outbreak; that is, potentially contaminated ingredients affected many different products that were distributed through various channels and consumed in various settings. The recalled products made by PCA, such as peanut butter and peanut paste, are common ingredients in cookies, crackers, cereal, candy, ice cream, pet treats, and other foods. Consumers are advised to discard and not eat products that have been recalled. To help consumers identify affected products, FDA has initiated a searchable database of recalled products that is updated daily or as additional recalls are identified. To date, more than 2,100 products in 17 categories have been voluntarily recalled by more than 200 companies, and the list continues to grow.”
We will continue to follow this situation and update the list below with recalled products that are sold in our stores.
Update From 2/26/09:
While the FDA has not yet posted information about this on their website, an FDA spokesperson announced (through the Associated Press) that the PCA Plainview, TX facility tested positive for the same strain of Salmonella blamed for sickening hundreds in a national outbreak traced initially to their Blakely, GA plant. So, what does this mean to you? While it is not entirely clear, here's what we know at this point.
In January, we pulled products from our shelves that were affected by the initial recalls related to the PCA Blakely, GA facility.
On February 12th, in a precautionary action, we removed peanut and peanut-containing products from our bulk departments that came to us directly from or were identifiable as coming from any of the three PCA facilities (GA, TX and VA) - not just from the Georgia facility as had been ordered by the FDA.
On February 20th, we issued a withdrawal for our Private Label 365 Unsalted Roasted Redskin Peanuts - best by dates 6/12/09 and 6/13/09 only. These two lot codes used peanuts that were stored (but never processed) at the PCA Texas facility. Additionally, upon receipt our supplier specifically tested for salmonella prior to roasting and the results were negative. Customers should return this item to the store for a full refund.
As of February 26th, none of our Private Label 365 products other than the redskin peanuts noted above are affected by the recall.
Based on the finding of salmonella at the Plainview, TX, PCA facility, manufacturers of other peanut-containing products sold in our stores that are affected. A big challenge is that PCA has filed for bankruptcy and is not providing any information about their operations. The FDA has not released a list of the ingredients that were processed at the Plainview facility or a list of their suppliers, which makes it very challenging for manufacturers to determine if ingredients that came to them through a distributor (rather than directly from PCA) were affected. We will be working with our vendors to alert our customers to any product recalls if/when we become aware of them.
As always, if you have any concerns about a product you purchased from us, please feel free to return it to your local store for a full refund. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and share updated information from the FDA's investigation.
Here are the recalled items carried in our stores as of 3/10/09:
1. Various bulk bin items. Due to the empowerment of our stores for local and regional buying, our supply chain is very diverse. The bulk departments in our stores are supplied by many different vendors. Some peanut-containing products may be recalled from some stores but not from others due to these different vendors. Contacting your local store is the safest way to ensure you get the most accurate information about any products you have purchased.
Contact your local store about recalled bulk products, including:
peanuts, all kinds
fresh grind peanut butters
trail mixes with peanuts
nut mixes with peanuts
candies with peanuts
chocolate with peanuts
energy bars with peanuts
Vendor products: 2. LÄRABAR Peanut Butter Cookie 3. JamFrakas Peanut Butter BlissCrisp snack bars 4. ZonePerfect Chocolate Peanut Butter bars 5. ZonePerfect Peanut Toffee bars 6. Multiple Clif bar products:
Clif Crunchy Peanut Butter bars
Clif Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch bars
Clif Pecan Toffee Buzz bars
Clif Mini's Variety Pack
Clif 24-count Variety Pack
Clif Builder's Peanut Butter bars
Cliff Builder's 18-count Variety Pack
Clif Kid ZBaR Peanut butter bars
Clif Kid ZBaR Variety Pack
7. Multiple Luna products:
Luna Nutz Over Chocolate bars
Luna Peanut Butter Cookie bars
Luna Mini's Variety Pack
8. Multiple MOJO products:
MOJO Honey Roasted Peanut bars
MOJO Mixed Nuts bars
MOJO Mountain Mix bars
MOJO Peanut Butter Pretzel bars
MOJO Dipped Chocolate Peanut bars
MOJO Dipped Peanut Butter & Jelly bars
MOJO Dipped Fruit & Nut bars
9. Health Valley Organic Peanut Crunch Chewy Granola Bars 10. Nature's Path Optimum Energy Bars Peanut Butter flavor bars 11. ThinkThin Dark Chocolate 12. ThinkThin Chocolate Mudslide 13. Can Do Kid Chocolate Crunch Bars 14. Can Do Kid Cookies & Cream Bars 15. Chunks of Energy Carob/Hawaiian Spirulina 16. Chunks of Energy HIGH COUNTRY GORP 17. Whole Foods Carob Energee Nuggets (States: California, Nevada, Oregon and Washington) 18. Uncle Eddies Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate-Chip Cookies 19. Uncle Eddies Individual Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies (Region: SP) 20. Uncle Eddies Individual Organic Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies (Regions: NA, NE, MA, SO, FL, MW, SW: LA, KY only) 21. SunRidge Chocolate Energy Bar (BULK) (Regions: SP, NC, FL, MA, MW, NA, NE, SO & SW: LA Only) 22. SunRidge Energy Nuggets (NOT BULK) (Regions: SP, NC) 23. Tofu Energee Nuggets (Region: SP) 24. Marin Carob Energee Nuggets 25. Aurora Caribbean Crunch Grail mix (NE and possibly NA) 26. Arico Peanut Butter Cookies 27. Arico Peanut Butter Cookie Bars 28. Multiple Simbree products: (Region: PN)
Simbree Oat Almond Pistash
Simbree Almond Pistachio Energy Bites
Simbree Oat Bites with Peanuts, Almonds and Pistachios
29. Thai Curry with Peanuts Seasoning Mix by Barron Specialty Foods (bulk and individual jars) 30. Ethnic Gourmet Chicken Pad Thai 31. Ethnic Gourmet Pad Thai with Shrimp 32. Ethnic Gourmet Pad Thai with Tofu 33. Gluten Free Café Asian Noodles 34. Bear Naked Appalachian Trail Mix 35. Detour brand products (Regions: SW and RM)
Runner Chocolate Peanut Butter bars
Biker Chocolate Peanut Butter bars
Core Strength Caramel Peanut bars
36. Kashi TLC products:
Chewy Granola Bars Trail Mix
Chewy Granola Bars Honey Almond Flax
Chewy Granola Bars Peanut Peanut Butter
Chewy Granola Bar Shippers
Chewy Granola Bars Club Pack
GoLean Crunch Honey Almond Flax Cereal *not in recall: only the Kashi TLC Chewy Honey Almond Flax Granola Bar sample that was shrink-wrapped to the cereal box is being recalled.
Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chewy Cookies
Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chewy Cookie Club Pack
Happy Trail Mix Chewy Cookies
Oatmeal Raisin Flax Chewy Cookies
Chewy Cookies display shipper
37. Genisoy Organic Apple Cinnamon Soy Protein Bars 38. Genisoy Soy Protein Bars:
Chocolate Fudge Brownie, 2.2oz
Fudge Cookies & Cream, 2.2oz
Café Mocha Fudge, 2.2oz
Crispy Chocolate Mint, 2.2oz
Chunky Peanut Butter Fudge 2.2oz
Creamy Peanut Yogurt, 2.2oz
39. Thai Coconut Panko Crust by Barron Specialty Foods 40. Glutino Organic Chocolate & Peanuts Bars 41. Chunks of Energy Mixed Berry Blast 42. Chunks of Energy CRANBERRY APRICOT,OG 43. Earth Island Follow Your Heart Deli Thai Peanut Tofu Wrap 10oz (SoPac Only) 44. Pure Butter CRICKLE, Peanut, Green Gift Box 8z (MA & SO) 45. Organic Fiber Bar Peanut Butter Chocolate [Best By Dates of: May 2009 & Aug 2009] 46. Kariba Farms Thai Peanut NutCrusters Coating Mix 47. KA-ME Green Tea Pumpkin Seed Snack Mix (FL) 48. Boston Cookies Peanut Butter Cookies (NA & NE) 49. Boston Cookies Peanut Butter Cookies - Snack Pack (NA & NE) 50. Boston Cookies Peanut Fudge Brownies (NA & NE) 51. Fabes Mini Peanut Butter Cookies (some regions) 52. Erin Baker's Home-style Granola - Peanut Butter (MA & PNW) 53. SunSpire Organic Dark Chocolate Crunchy Peanut Clusters (some regions) 54. Garden of Life fücoPROTEIN Peanut Butter Crunch bars 55. Golden Temple WHA GURU CHEW Peanut Cashew bars - (MW, PNW & SoPac) 56. Cascadian Farm Peanut Butter Chip Chewy Granola Bars] 57. Cascadian Farm Sweet and Salty Mixed Nuts Chewy Granola Bars 58. Cascadian Farm Sweet and Salty Peanut Pretzel Chewy Granola Bars 59. Odwalla Peanut Crunch Bars 60. Chocolate Chip Peanut Odwalla Bars 61. Sweet & Salty Peanut Odwalla Bars 62. Sweet & Salty Trail Mix Odwalla Bars 63. Cougar Mountain Baking Cookie items - (PNW Only) 64. Honey Peanut Balance Bars 65. Heavenly Candy Peanut Bliss - (MW, NorCal, PNW, RM & SW) 66. Theo Brand Peanut Butter Big Daddy bar 67. Betty Lou's Nut Butter Protein Balls 68. Multiple Erin Baker's items (MA & PNW) 69. ZonePerfect Chocolate Caramel Cluster bars 70. Bear Naked All Natural Granola - Peanut Butter 71. Bear Naked All Natural Hybrid Granola - Peanut Butter Chocolate TrueNorth Brand Peanut Crisps <withdrawal> (FL, MA, MW, NA, NE, SO). 72.TrueNorth Brand Peanut Crisps (FL, MA, MW, NA, NE, SO). 73.Crispy Cat Roasted Peanut candy bars 74.Beneficial Foods/Nature’s Candy :
Nature’s Candy Peanut Butter Krinkles (Bulk) (MW, RM, SW)
Nature’s Candy Karob Krinkles (Bulk) (MW, RM, SW)
Beneficial Foods Omega-3 Uplift Bars (MW, RM, SW)
75.Marich Confectionery items:
Milk Chocolate Peanuts (10lb, BULK) (Some Regions)
Milk Chocolate Peanuts (8oz Bags) (Some Regions)
Chocolate Peanut Butter Toffee – (Unlikely we carry)
76.EB Performance PB &Whey Protein Bites bars (FL Only) 77. Promax Bars <Withdrawal>:
Promax Double Fudge Brownie bars (SW)
Promax Cookies ‘n Cream bars (SW)
78. Glutenfreeda Peanut Envy Frozen Cookie Dough 79. 365 Everyday Value Unsalted Roasted Redskin Peanuts 80. Nature’s Path items:
Nature’s Path EnviroKidz Rice Bar Peanut Butter Choco Drizzle, 6 pack
Nature’s Path Peanut Butter Granola Bar, 5 pack
Nature’s Path Peanut Choco Granola Bar, 5 pack
Nature’s Path Peanut Butter Granola 11.5oz (Cereal)
81. Just Desserts 6” Peanut Butter Crème cake 82. Potent Foods items (NA Region Only):
Potent Life Bittersweet Cacao Crunch bars
Potent Life Whole Goji Berry bars
Potent Life Himalayan Pink Salty Peanuts bars
Potent Life Cherry Chocolate bars
83. PaleyBar Jam-n-Peanuts Bars (PNW Only) 84. Honest Foods Choco Peanut Butter Baked Whole Food Bars 85. Michaelene’s Gourmet Granola items (MW Only) We will update this as more information becomes available. Remember that this list includes only products that we sell in our stores. We will not list information on products that we do not sell. That information is available on the FDA searchable database and we encourage you to go to their site. Please note: Many manufacturers receive their supply of ingredients from multiple vendors. Therefore, not all products listed here are recalled in total, but rather specific lot or batch numbers made on certain dates. While new research is being conducted, we will not be able to answer questions about specific peanut related products. Additionally, our answers to previous comments and questions about the recall are not necessarily accurate any longer given the expansion. For our Canadian customers, please note that the CFIA is working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to identify and remove all affected products imported into Canada from the U.S. The CFIA is also working with Canadian manufacturers to recall foods containing affected U.S. peanuts. As more products are identified, the CFIA will continue to update its list of recalled products.